Thursday, March 12, 2015

Learn 13



6.5" X  6.5
 
Oil Sticks on Art Board
 
Some paintings don't always turn out great but you learn a lot from them. This is one of them. As I am not all that happy with it, I learned a few things that are essential to painting with Shiva paintstiks.  I am finding that with oil sticks, blocking in the lights first will yield brighter lights then trying to get them on top of a darker color. So, when I put down a light color, I have to leave it alone, unless I intend to darken it for a shadow. Which also makes me have to think about where I place my colors rather then just diving in. I work mostly intuitively which works most of the time but there is always that sometime that it doesn't. So, thinking about the placement of the paint is worth doing more often. Since they are oil sticks, I mix colors right on the surface, which I love but some colors don't mix well, and don't yield the same color that I am looking for. On that not, I must do color mixing experiments with the shiva paintstiks! I will make a color wheel with them to see which colors mix the best and keep as a reference. Note to self: google that before attempting. The work may have already been done and I won't have to waste paint on it. If not, go and do it.
 
 Have you noticed my last three painting have my initials on them? Yea, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment